A dear Brazilian friend, Marta Caputo, gave me the original recipe for this cake. It is super moist and light. It is perfect with a cup of tea or Brazilian coffee.
- 1 and 1/2 cups of brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of sunflower oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup of orange juice divided in two parts
- Zest of one orange
- 1 cup of cake flour
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 3/4 cup of applesauce to substitute for eggs
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix apple sauce, sugar, oil, half a cup of orange juice and orange zest in a blender, food processor or cake beaters.
- Transfer the mix to a bowl and add the flour and baking powder.
- Place dough in a floured Bundt cake mold.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until fork comes clean from the center. Let it cool for 10 minutes and transfer cake to a serving platter.
- Mix half a cup of orange juice with the raw sugar.
- Prick holes all over the cake top with a fork. Drizzle the orange-sugar mix over the top of the cake.
- Dust the cake with the powdered sugar.
Luciana Schrader adapted the recipe for her blog, cookingbrasil.com.